Error 30 Cannot implicitly convert type 'IWS.Lib.SingleSignOn.MembershipWebService.ServiceResponse'

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2007 at 10:33 PM
I posted this to discuss some of the issues a few people are having compiling the code.

One of the errors that might appear will look like:
Error 30 Cannot implicitly convert type 'IWS.Lib.SingleSignOn.MembershipWebService.ServiceResponse' to 'IWS.Lib.SingleSignOn.ServiceResponses.ServiceResponse' Error 31 Cannot implicitly convert type 'IWS.Lib.SingleSignOn.MembershipWebService.ServiceResponse' to 'IWS.Lib.SingleSignOn.ServiceResponses.ServiceResponse'

Anytime the web reference URL is changed using the designer, Visual Studio tries to recreate all the supplementary proxy classes belonging to the web service functions. When I built this library, I removed those proxy classes and referenced the client-side web functions directly back to the original objects intending the same library to be client and server side.

So to resolve this, simply replace your reference.cs files for both web services with the original ones you downloaded from the release. Recompile and it should come up fine.

With the recent change to the config file, there should only be one web path to worry about. The original reference.cs file knows how to parse the config and append the proper web service file name to the web path.

Reply here if you're having any issues with this subject.

Thanks,
Nathan
Jul 1, 2007 at 11:35 PM
Sorry, I dont understand your instructions above, could you please be alittle more detailed on how to compile your project so I can run this project.

Thanks.
Jul 2, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Try this. Remove existing web references in project "SingleSignOn", add them again and save. From zipped file, extract reference.cs and overwrite same files in your project.
Coordinator
Jul 2, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM
I started stepping through this step by step to answer your question and found some issues with the RoleService client-side. I'm fixing this now, and I'm going to post a release soon with step by step instructions on how to test it. Keep an eye out for 1.0.2.

In the mean time, you can pull down the most recent source check in. The changes should be there. I'm not going to be able to get to pushing a release out until later tonight. The instructions will appear in the planned release 1.0.2
Coordinator
Jul 2, 2007 at 11:51 PM
1.0.2 is posted. Check out the release notes for instructions and details that should eliminate this error.
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2007 at 2:36 PM
Snedzad said it perfectly. :)

The release notes for 1.0.2 are found here:
http://www.codeplex.com/SingleSignOn/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=5435
Jan 4, 2008 at 3:45 AM
another way is to manually generate reference.cs from wsdl. update web references brought about this problem.