ISSUE: ApplicationName

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Hi Nathan,

I've an issue, if the ApplicationName field in the membership database isn't empty.
Your sample site assumes this. If i set the ApplcationName to "/" it authenticates well.

At the moment i can't find a solution for this. I hope you can provide a workaround for this.

regards
Christian
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2007 at 5:40 PM
to be really honest, I need to do some research to find what that's even used for. I was mainly just creating pass-throughs for the ValidateUser and user/role functions because I knew those are the ones I needed most. I saw ApplicationName in there and passed it through, but honestly don't have a clue yet what it's for. I was hoping it would take care of itself via the SqlMembershipProvider on the back end.

I used the sample web site as is. I just had to make sure the host site was started up and the database wasn't readonly before it would work for me. I didn't run into any issues with application name.

I'll take a look at it though. That's curious.

Thanks!
Nathan
Jun 6, 2007 at 1:36 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2007 at 1:40 PM

nlb6665 wrote:
to be really honest, I need to do some research to find what that's even used for. I was mainly just creating pass-throughs for the ValidateUser and user/role functions because I knew those are the ones I needed most. I saw ApplicationName in there and passed it through, but honestly don't have a clue yet what it's for. I was hoping it would take care of itself via the SqlMembershipProvider on the back end.

I used the sample web site as is. I just had to make sure the host site was started up and the database wasn't readonly before it would work for me. I didn't run into any issues with application name.

I'll take a look at it though. That's curious.

Thanks!
Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I have found a solution for this issue.

I added before you check username/password in AuthenticateSession this line:

Membership.Provider.ApplicationName = "bava";
~/App_Code/MembershipService.cs line 48

Now we have to introduce a new config parameter to specify the applicationName.

regards
Christian